And that's because I'm going to attempt to be Mara Jade, from the Star Wars universe.
Anyway, I've been researching cosplay and costume components and I was afraid that it would get very expensive. I wanted to buy as many pieces as possible that I could use again in every day outfits or pieces I could make.
Here's the inspiration for my costume and a breakdown of components.
- Suit - Obviously, I'm not going to be able to wear a skin tight cat suit to work or the mall, so I wanted to find one as cheap as possible. Since I've never purchased one before, I was afraid it would be a $100 or more investment, but I've found several cheap ones online, like this one, for under $40.
- Boots - I've been lusting after black leather motorcycle boots for quite some time, so I'm not really worried about these. I'll get a ton of use out of them. Cost: roughly $50.
- Light saber - It's got to be purple. Amazon carries one for $20. I really consider this an investment piece, too.
- Hood - I'll be making my own cowl hood using this tutorial. All I need to do is find a clearance shirt in a color I like now. Cost: roughly $2.
- Harness - I've got quite the plan for the harness. Combine some engineering resources, spray paint, and some discount belts, I think I may be able to make this harness for $10.
- Belt and Blaster - Maybe I will make this out of some discount belts and a spray painted toy gun, or maybe I will wait until it's closer to Halloween and find a costume one at Target for under $10.
- Shin Guards - The only thing I've thought of so far is going to a used sporting equipment store and spray painting some soccer padding black. Has anyone seen a good online tutorial on how to make these with maybe some cardboard? Cost: roughly $10.
- Hair and make up -Wild, red hair and natural make up. That'll probably be the easiest part of this look.
- Cape - maybe, if I'm feeling really fancy and come in under budget, I'll add in a cape.
Total Cost for Pieces that probably won't be reused: $72.
Ouch. This will definitely be the most expensive Halloween costume I've ever had, but hopefully, if I make it right, I can wear it for many years for all sorts of occasions. Let's be real, there's always a reason to dress up as a Star Wars character.