Monday, May 13, 2013

A Bit of a Splurge: Beauty Haul

In case you haven't noticed, I've been really getting into beauty blogs and tutorials lately (like this one, and this one, and this one, too). At 26 years old, I finally feel like I'm starting to understand and grasp all the tiny tubs and tubes that sit on my vanity. 

And because of this, I want to share what I've learned and how I've changed up my routines and products.

- Wearing perfume. I know this is cheesy and girly, but stick with me. Someday, I want my kids to know what I smell like. I want them to smell something on a breeze and have it remind them of me. So, even though I'm nowhere near actually having kids, I wanted to develop a signature scent. A nice scent that I knew would be available for a long time. I began searching for a high-quality perfume, which was quite difficult given how allergic I can be to some scents, and fell in love with this one.

 

Chance by Chanel. Yes, it was expensive. And yes, it smells as gorgeous as it looks. Light and floral, yet very clean. I feel so fancy and classy when I wear it.

- Having proper make up brushes. I hate to admit it, but I used those cheap little applicators that come with products for waaaaay too long. However, over time and a couple of gift sets that my mom gave me, I've built quite an arsenal.


I'm going to write this in all caps because it is just that important: IT IS SO MUCH EASIER TO APPLY MAKE UP WHEN YOU USE THE PROPER TOOLS. It goes on better, the lines are cleaner, and it will take less time.

- Wear lip color. In watching a lot of youtube make up videos, I've noticed how much better people look on camera with lip stick. Normal, uncolored lips just don't show up well in pictures or film. See that picture of me in the top right corner of the blog? I am wearing one of the brightest, reddest lipstick you will ever see, but it's barely noticeable, right? Because of that, I've been on a bit of a lip stick kick lately.


My favorites are Revlon's "Love that Pink" and "Romantic" (apparently, I am a Revlon girl). And yes, I am forced to reapply one or two times a day, but I think it's worth it.

- Filling in eyebrows. I will admit that this one is more of an optional item in my make up routine, it only makes it in when I'm not crunched for time. However, check out the subtle difference.


The brow on the left is filled in, while the right isn't. The unfilled one doesn't look bad, but the filled one just looks better, doesn't it? I can't really explain why, but it does. I just fill it in with some powder and a brush, no pencil for me. Actually, I was an idiot a couple months back and thought I could pull off bronzer (no, no I cannot), but it's the same color as my hair, so it does the job nicely on my eyebrows. Just find a cheap eye shadow the same color as your brows and have at it! 

- Carrying a make up bag. I've completely given up on make up lasting all day. Mascara and eyeliner, sure. But concealer and lipstick? Nope. Just an urban legend. I've thrown in the towel and accepted the fact that if I want to be made up all day, it will require maintenance. And maintenance requires me carrying around stuff all day.


My purse make up bag is small and only contains a couple of things, mainly the stuff that I manage to rub off during the day: a lip stain, lip balm, a concealer, and a mascara. Just duplicates of my favorites. Oh, and some essentials I should have always been carrying around like bobby pins, a compact mirror, safety pins, and band-aids.

- Tangle Teezer. It's a handheld brush that doesn't rip your hair out when you have tangles. It's just that simple. The bristles are of multiple heights and bend so that they don't get stuck in knots. My hair is definitely reaping the benefits of not being tugged and torn twice a day. It's is expensive at roughly $18, but hopefully it will save me money on things like detangler and deep conditioner. Oh, and it really reduced how static my hair gets. Much less static-y now!


- Urban Decays Naked Palettes. If you want to the best colors in eye shadows, buy one of these palettes. They are highly pigmented, easily blendable, and coordinate with the other colors in the palette It is a bit of an investment, but if you're like me, you will never need a color that this palette doesn't include. I had the Naked 2 palette for over a year before I decided I needed to have the Naked palette as well.


I don't think I'll ever find a need to buy another eyeshadow. Unless it's Halloween or something, maybe...

Just a few changes to my routine has made me feel more put together. More confident. And yes, it probably does add up to be a good chunk of change, but I consider it more of an investment. An investment in myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment