Monday, October 31, 2011

I Feel Like a Hobbit

Have I mentioned before how awesome my job is? I work with robots and when they need to be upgraded in the field, I get sent to do it. It's just so hard working in amazing places like New York City and London. You heard me right, I just got back from Jolly Old England. Three days of travel for three hours of work and one day of sightseeing? Yes, please. Technically, we were stationed in a town about an hour south west of London, Basingstoke, but it gave us a great jumping off point to visit Stonehenge and Windsor Castle.


This is the Portsmouth Arms Pub. We ate here twice. It was such an authentic countryside pub: thatched roof, dogs running around inside, thick wood ceiling beams, and old, deep fireplaces. It felt like something out of 'Lord of the Rings' and the food was so comforting.


You couldn't see anything for miles around Stonehenge. The wind was blustering and the sheep were grazing like a scene from a Thomas Hardy story. While Stonehenge was impressive, it was still hard to get a sense of scale when you're 30 feet from it. I would have loved to be able to walk through it.


By the way, sheep are awesome. This one had a bird.


Who says the food is bad in England? Imagine trying to eat lunch when this is right behind you. Yeah, we stopped back on the way to the car to get a couple of pieces to go. Mmm, double chocolate gateau...


This is Windsor Castle, the castle the royal family still uses. We went on a tour through about 1/6 of the main part of the castle and it took over an hour. The place is GIGANTIC. One of my favorite documentaries is 'Windsor Castle: A Royal Year' and it shows how truly awesome this castle is. Rent it if you haven't seen it. I think it'll go on my Christmas List this year.


This guard kept giving me the stink eye. I don't know what his problem was, could he not figure out that I wanted a picture with him? I'm pretty sure that I was like the 400th person to take a picture with him that day. My sister called him paunchy and he might want to consider a bigger coat.

Next time I'm taking London by storm. I may have to go back in early December and I'm already plotting out all the sites I need to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment