Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

With my sister being out of the country all summer, the responsibility of making it a kick-ass Father's Day for my dad fell squarely on my shoulders. And with a PS3 that Dan found on sale at Target and Duke Nukem Forever from my mom, I think it was just that. He's spent the last two hours trying to learn a new system, adapt to a gaming system that has a hard drive and connects to the internet, and master the controls for a game 14 years in development. It brings back such odd memories from my childhood as he frantic runs around as giant aliens shoot at him, I shout directions that he doesn't listen to, and my mom just screams every time they hit him.

Once we have multiple controllers and can run around and shoot each other, that's when the real fun beings. Especially when we can convince my mom to be the fourth player amongst myself, my dad, and my sister. Poor thing tends to gets stuck staring at the ceiling in corners and it's no challenge to sneak up behind her and giggle for a while before finishing her off. This is why she refuses to play with us most of the time.

My dad's more excited for the fact that with the PS3, he may never have to stand up again. Wireless controller that can turn the system on and off and the ability to buy games over the internet? He's sold. He's already been asking about other games he should buy. This might have actually been the perfect Father's Day gift for the man who is impossible to shop for.

So, in honor of my dad today, "Hail to the king, baby."

  Image courtesy of 3D Realms

No comments:

Post a Comment