Friday, June 24, 2011

Guess who came to dinner?!

While I was making dinner tonight, I looked out into the backyard and saw something moving. My eyes focused on the movement.

"Turtle!" I shouted. I ran for my shoes and by the time I made it to the spot where I could have sworn I saw him, he was gone. After a couple of frantic seconds of searching and wondering how a turtle outran me, I found him hiding under a bush, against the back wall.


I love Turtle. A Desert Tortoise is an awesome pet for me. I researched plants that they like to eat and landscaped the backyard with them, we built a house for him out of cinder blocks and dirt, and he sleeps for six months out of the year. 


Although it's June and he should have been awake for a couple of months now, I've only seen him a handful of times. I worry about him quite a lot so the fact that he's popped up twice in the last week is a huge comfort to me.

I'll feel like a much better momma once the rains come and he cleans up a bit. I don't have the heart to spray him with the hose.

1 comment: