Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Thirty Before Thirty

Last weekend, Dan and I went to the Banff film festival, which is a collection of outdoor short films. It's a great night and we were glad to get tickets to it from my dad for a second year in a row.

A film called '35' kind of resonated with me. You can watch it below, but it's about doing what you love and refusing to grow up.

 
And it hit me. I'm 27 years old and am I living for what I love? What am I living and working toward?

So, in a moment of panic, I decided to create a list. A list of things to work for and towards. Thirty things I wanted to do before I turn 30. The list started off fairly strong...
  1. Run the Cinco De Mayo 10K
  2. Run the Labor 8 Miler
  3. Take a lay-on-the-beach-all-day vacation
  4. Donate to Locks of  Love
  5. Redo the floors in the house
  6. Learn how to really drive stick
  7. Learn how to use the sewing machine
...and then I promptly ran out of things. I came up with seven things. Only seven. Seven goals for the next three years. And if I really set my mind to it, I could probably do numbers 3, 6, and 7 in one weekend. There are things that are less concrete, like 'take better care of myself' and 'be more productive with my freetime', but really, only seven goals.

I had two drastically different reactions to my short list. 1) Wow, my life must be awesome if I have so few goals I need to meet. 2) Wow, I must be lazy and boring if I have so few goals.

You know, in a weird way, both reasons are quite motivating. I have so few things I need to accomplish so why aren't I spending more time working toward them? If I really got off my ass, I could probably do all of these things in the next six months.

And so I'm going to stop writing for now, move some laundry to the dryer, and get off my ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment