Dan and I have been coming up with a list of random little projects that I can handle on my own. I seem to have an excess of time on my hands lately and it's nice to contribute to our house, especially since Dan does so much on his own. One of these little projects was painting the fireplace in our bedroom.
This is what it looked like before:
When we first painted the room, we didn't paint the fireplace because we planned on tiling it. We didn't want to add a coat of paint which may make the tile harder to adhere. Over time, however, we changed our minds. We no longer were feeling the tile. Building up something like this became more of our goal.
On our list of projects, though, it was quite near the bottom. Until we got around to building it, though, we still had a tan fireplace that stood out in the room.
So, with two hours over two days, I did this:
No more bad tile and stand-out tan paint. Definitely not my best paint job, but it's good enough until we can get back to it.
Also, please ignore the poor placement of the chair. It's just living there until furniture can go back into the living room.
Speaking of the living room, we did make some progress there, too.
Two tiles are up! The most glorious, panic-inducing tiles you ever did see. Dan and I have survived senior design projects, planning a wedding, buying a house, and all sorts of other stressful situations, but I don't think we've ever openly panicked over anything like this before. There's a reason there are only two up. It was just too stressful. We need to take some time, come up with a plan, and hopefully make another attack next weekend.