Monday, July 22, 2013

Project House Update: Upgrading the Sconces

When we were painting our formal living room/front room/future play room/whatever the hell we're calling that stupid room this week, we just put back up the old light fixtures. Dan wasn't a big fan of them, but they actually aren't have bad.

The base is solid, high quality wood with a fixture made out of antique-ish brass.


The only problem was the intensity of the light. With clear glass fixture, it was bright. Too bright. So bright it gave me headaches. This photo sums it up pretty well.


Dan was completely fine with just replacing both fixtures in their entirety. However, I liked their vintage charm and wanted to save some money. I did some measurements and research and found that the dimensions of the glass bulb were the same as the individual glass fixtures they sell for pendant lights at Home Depot.


I was hoping they had one almost identical to the existing one, but frosted. I still really liked the round, glass globe design. They didn't have it, but they had one similar. It's hard to describe it, but it's kind of frosted and kind of beaded with water, like a car window during a hot rain storm.


I just popped it on the light fixture, and Bam! What a difference!


No more headaches for me! A simple $20 upgrade for a big and easy impact. 

No comments:

Post a Comment