Friday, July 20, 2012

Fan of Friday: Week of 7/19/2012

I found a list yesterday on Apartment Therapy on how to be happier at home. It's a straight-forward list that really resonated with me. While I love my home and being at home, sometimes it stresses me out more than it relaxes me. This list is right up my alley.

One of my favorite points is "If you can't get out of it, get into it". Why yes, doing the dishes is what I hate more than that first instance you spot a spider in the corner of the shower with a head full of shampoo bubbles. Or more than when the AC goes out for two weeks in Arizona in July and you are forced avoid half of your house and bunk in the guest room (true story of the past two weeks). Or more than how all summer TV shows are crap but I watch them all religiously anyway. Anyway, the point is that some things, like doing the dishes, need to be done in spite of the amount of hatred that burns deep in your soul and you might as well get over it. If you have to do it, you might as well enjoy it (This is the only way I get through scooping the cat box. It's like a little, gross treasure hunt, right?)

However, the one that stuck out the most to me on this list was #8.
Call at least one friend or family member a day. You can do this while you clean, while you make the bed, or while you walk the dog. Texts and emails do not count! Make an actual phone call to a loved one, just to chat and catch up. We humans are social beings and studies show that even when we don't feel like it, even if we are naturally introverted, socializing with our loved ones makes us feel better.
Besides the awesomeness of Dan and my family, I've been very lonely lately. I chat to friends through email, text, and facebook, but I don't really talk to anyone anymore. I even have parties and invite people into my home, but I'm so worried about food and everyone enjoying themselves that I don't really connect to anyone anymore. I have people I love in my life that I haven't seen since the wedding and that was almost 18 months ago! I have friends who haven't been to the new house. I have friends who I have no honest idea what they are up to. I know I'm bad at keeping friends, but that's no excuse to not try.

So, my goal for every day next week is to spend at least five minutes a day just talking to the people in my life I miss. Even if I have absolutely no reason to talk to them, they should be reason enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment