Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Blogmas 2013: The Fudge

Why is fudge a holiday food? Why can't we just eat it all year round?

In the great challenge that is being 'more festive', I wanted to attempt to make fudge. Never tried before. I remember being little and helping my mom make some Christmas fudge and having it never set up properly. Eventually, we threw it in the freezer in an effort to finally make it solid. Since then, I figured it was out of my culinary reach.

I found this recipe, went to the store, realized we were out of aluminum foil, sent Dan back to the store, and got started!


You put the butter, sugar, and evaporated milk in a saucepan over a double boiler. Melt it all together and heat it until it reaches 238 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer.


Apparently this part is very important. I couldn't find our candy thermometer so I googled how to tell when it's reached the 'soft ball' stage. Yeah, don't trust the internet. Just find your candy thermometer or don't try to make fudge.

Following the remainder of the recipe, I mixed in the chocolate chips, marshmallow fluff, and let out the nuts because it was like $8 for the amount of nuts needed. Geez. Into the fridge it went to set up.

Several hours later, I served it up, and you know what it was?


Mush. It's mush. Maybe a pan of frosting would be a better way to describe it, but it's definitely not fudge. It's tasty and I will probably eat it all eventually, but I officially failed at making fudge. Maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment