Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Fashion February: Shopping Outfit on Bloated Day

Shopping Outfit on Bloated Day


Although I didn't go shopping, I left the original title of this outfit the same because I find it hilarious and true. Slip-on flats for ease of trying on shoes, skinny jeans that can be left on under dresses if necessary, and a flowy top to cover any tummy bloat.

Anyway, this is the last day of Fashion February! YAY! I'll be honest, I am sick of this challenge. I am really looking forward to waking up tomorrow and just putting on absolutely anything. Not that I don't like the outfits I've designed, but I have definitely learned some things about my style over this past month.
  • There are a lot of pieces in my closet that I love that I have no idea how to style. And not just crazy pieces, like my hot pink Japanese Star Wars shirt, but normal pieces like my the majority of my work blouses, my gray color block dress, and a lot of my jewelry. Because of this, I'm fasting from buying any more tops, dresses, and jewelry until I can learn to use the pieces I have in a way I'm proud of.
  • I don't have as many good work outfits as I think. There were plenty of days when I picked an outfit, go to work, and suddenly realized my neckline was much lower than I thought or the hemline was much shorter than I thought. If I want to be taken seriously and not pull at my clothes all day, I need to be more aware of what I'm wearing. I already have a rule in place that I can't buy anything that isn't work appropriate, but I need to be more mindful of tights, camis, and the tightness of my outfits. 
  • A side effect of the first point, but there are A LOT of my pieces that I wear in very high rotation. Like the red flats in this outfit. Or my Old Navy dark wash, straight leg jeans. Or my red purse, also shown above. I need to fill out my wardrobe with more neutral, easy to wear pieces so I don't have to wear the same ones all the time. 
  • I need to be more mindful of the gaps in my closet and make an effort to target those holes.
On a more positive note, this challenge has shown me that it is possible to be stylish everyday. I can easily wake up and put an effort into what I'm wearing. But let's be real. There will always be the days where your hair is doing something stupid (or how mine is all the time now, stupid haircut) or you don't want to wear a cute dress. You just need to throw your hair, put on a pair of comfortable pants and a loose top, and call it good.

How about this: for the month of March, every Friday or Saturday, I'm going to create an outfit based on a piece or pieces that I haven't worn in a month. That's just five days, so that's not too much pressure. I'm going to call it "Closet Orphans", a term coined by Sally at Already Pretty. And it should be more fun outfits because Fridays are casual and Saturdays are just ca-ray-zay. I think I need some sort of challenge to keep me on the up-and-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment