Sunday, November 4, 2012

Project House Update: The Curtain Mistake

I will be the first to admit that I am not good at sewing, but after the mistake I made while trying to make curtains, it's clear I'm not good at measuring either.

We bought simple white curtains from Target to hang in our dining room for some privacy. If the door to the dining room is open, anyone in the front yard (or probably from the street, for that matter) can see right through the dining room into our kitchen, making cooking in your underwear slightly embarassing.

So, off we went to Home Depot to buy a wooden curtain rod (we love Home Depot's wooden curtain rods because it makes the curtain rods look like part of the house). Dan cut the curtain rod to length and mounted the brackets. All that was left was for me to trim the curtains to length and sew a hem.

Here's where I made my big mistake: I should have hung the curtains and then measured how much they needed to be shortened. What I did: I measured the window so I could match the length of the curtains.

After about an hour and a half with my mom's help, guess what we ended up with?

Yep, they were almost a foot short. Ouch.

Thankfully, we saved the extra fabric, I meticulously measured how much material needed to be added back, and we made it work.


The bottom ruffle almost looks intentional, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment