Friday, April 6, 2012

Fan of Friday: Week of 4/6/2012

I'm officially a fan of the Hunger Games.

I've been meaning to read the books for a while, but being the cheapskate I am, I had to wait for my sister to get her copies back from a friend so I could borrow them. She finally got them to me last weekend, the weekend the movie opened. Of course, she went to the midnight premier, but she wanted to go again and take me and my mom. I told her I didn't want to see the movie until I read the book, so I don't think I've ever been so dedicated to getting through a book.

After about 150 pages, I couldn't put the stupid book down. Staying up late, promising myself "only one more page" and breaking that promise over and over. I even conned my husband into carpooling to work so he would drive and I could read.

Maybe it's just me, but part of the reason I really enjoyed this book was because none of the emotions of the characters were simple. Guilt, revenge, love, trust, loyalty, self-preservation. It's well layered and complicated.

Also, it's really good motivation on the treadmill. I just plod along, thinking to myself, "I want to be a badass like Katniss. If she can do it, I can do it." That's a total lie, but it's good inspiration. Let's be honest, I'd be the first one dead. I have no skills. I need some skills.

Unless there was some sort of 80's trivia portion of it. Then I would totally win.

I feel a little better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment