Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Work Out Wednesdays: The Credit Card System

In honor of Black Friday, here's my new dieting strategy: the credit card system.

Let me first say that I am much better at money than I am at dieting. Actually, I'm awesome at money. I realized that if I treat dieting like my credit card bill, I'm much better at that too.

Ok, so let's break it down. Any extra weight I'm carrying I count as debt. At the beginning of this, I was 17.6 pounds in debt. It's earning interest and dragging me down, just like regular debt.

I give each piece of food I eat some value. Things like salad, oatmeal, fruit, vegetables, and yogurt are all free. Anything associated with my planned breakfast, lunch, and dinner are free. That brownie that I broke down and ate? That's worth 20 minutes on the treadmill. That handful of Cheetos? An ab workout. All of this debt then goes onto my body "credit card".

From there, I consider each day as it's own credit card cycle. It must be paid off by the end of the day to not earn interest. If I owe 30 minutes on the treadmill, I must pay up by the end of the day. I know it's weird, but for some reason, it works pretty well for me. And it's nice because it prevents me from eating really crappy at the end of the day. If I don't have the time to pay it off before bed, I can't eat it. It also takes some of the guilt away. It's ok to eat the cookie if I'm having a bad day and just need it, as long as I step up later and burn it off. Any time I manage to workout more than what I owe for the day, it reduces the long-term weight debt I'm trying to overcome.

It's been working pretty well for me this week. This week I went from 146.4 to 145.4, a loss of one pound.


It's not much, but it's a loss. Total, I'm down 2.2 pounds. Would I like to be down more? Absolutely, but I can't let this take over my life right now. With the time I have off right now, I should probably be doubling up on my workouts, but I wouldn't change what I'm eating. I need the energy that is not associated with extreme calorie counting.

Anyway, I've kind of got a goal in mind now. At the end of December, I've got an informal high school reunion and I would love to be under 140. It's not an extreme goal. I just need to lose 5.4 pounds in five weeks.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy, ignoring all the crazy holiday eating.

Ok, nevermind. I may be screwed.

No comments:

Post a Comment