Saturday, November 12, 2011

Clint Eastwood is my Grandpa

Or more accurately, my Grandpa is like Clint Eastwood. Have you seen "Gran Turino"? We watched it last night for Dan's birthday (I checked it out from the library, so it was free baby!) and Clint Eastwood is bad-ass. Just like my Grandpa.


My Grandpa is 95 years old and always wears his rattlesnake skin cowboy boots. He golfed every other day until his doctor finally ordered him to stop a couple months ago. He's killed more snakes with golf club s than I care to admit.

But he's also incredibly sweet and understanding. He was the first one in the family to embrace my vegetarianism, even though he raised cattle for dozens of years. He once told me how proud he  was of all his granddaughters because we had college educations so we would never have to depend on a man. He's awesome.

Anyway, after watching "Gran Turino" last night, I came across this quote from Clint Eastwood and it's definitely something I could imagine my Grandpa surprising me by saying.

     These people who are making a big deal out of gay marriage? I don't give a fuck about
     who wants to get married to anybody else! Why not?! We're making a big deal out of
     things we shouldn't be making a deal out of. They go on and on with all this bullshit about
     "sanctity" — don't give me that sanctity crap! Just give everybody the chance to have the
     life they want.

Bad-ass and sweet. Just like my Grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment